Wednesday, May 16, 2007

The Internet is Back!

I just got off the phone with Bellsouth tech support - we are officially back online! Hurray! This is the first blog post I've written from home in over a month!!

I bought a new Belkin wireless router to replace my old wireless router that I discovered would no longer turn on.

"What is a router?" you ask.

What an excellent question.

A router is like a traffic cop that directs all of the computers in my home (currently one (1), but could be more if we have guests that bring laptops) to my DSL modem sitting off in a corner by its lonesome. And since its wireless, I don't have those antique-looking ethernet cables stretching all over the place making my wife upset.

I have DHCP set up so anyone can effortlessly get on my network. And I've enabled WAP security, so other people in my neighborhood can't. And the installation was remarkably easy due to brilliant installation software (and a great tech support person, which I just happened to need to call for a minor issue).

Ah well... it's off to bed for me. Cheerio, and all that.

No comments: