Monday, August 28, 2006

Lights on - Lights off

That's what our lights were doing last night, as Monica made her rounds from about 1:00 AM to 3:00 AM.

We're on call to watch Renee in case Sharon should go into labor, and last night we got "the call".

Bob: *smack smack* "Hullo?"
Sharon: "Bob? Heh. It's Sharon, and I'm in labor! Heh."
Bob: "Oh yeah? Here's Monica".

I passed the phone to Monica and rolled over and tried to relax myself, just in case I needed to fall back asleep.

Monica: "Yes?"
Sharon: ...
Monica: "Well, call me back in 30 minutes and let me know if the contractions are getting stronger."

As soon as she hung up the phone, Monica was up and about, fixing my lunch for the next day, ironing clothes, and most importantly, turning on all of the lights withersoever she wenteth. After an hour or so had passed, I assumed that maybe lil Lucas was going to procrastinate his entrance yet another day, and decided to roll over and catch a few more winks.

'Twas not to be. Around 3:00 AM (or thereabouts) I hear a great clatter, and awoke to hear Monica shrieking and shouting that there's a rat in our wall chewing up something, and that I should come immediately to hear it. Light from somewhere was reflecting off my eyeball, as my mind raced through all of the available options.

a) Race through the house sealing up any possible modes of entry for said rat.
b) Listen for the rat's position, cut a hole in the drywall and extract said rat, killing it in the process, and then repatch the drywall.
c) Try to kill the rat through the drywall with a sledge hammer.
d) Follow my wife through the house, listening for the rat and acknowledging its obvious size and presence.
e) Go back to sleep, and deal with it later.

Obviously E (e) made the most sense, which is what I did. Although I have yet to "deal with it later".

My house is home to so many woodland creatures it would have been perfect for Walt Disney.

1 comment:

Anna May said...

sounds like you all had an interresting night!! LOL!!!