Wednesday, December 24, 2008

I Stood Up

“Monica, she has a stinky”, I mouthed to my wife. She took Zoe from me, fumbled around in her bag for her various accoutrements, and hurried off to the nursery.

At just the moment when my wife rose to exit, the song leader began a new song. I was tired or something, and for some reason I thought we had been invited to stand for this song.

And so, I stood up.

Which would have been fine, except for the small fact that nobody else stood up with me.

I couldn’t find the song in the songbook, so it took a while for me to realize that I was a lone citadel standing on a great windswept plain. I looked up and found the song leader was looking back, quizzically. Someone behind me let loose a titter.

And so, I sat down.

And then I decided to try something new. I thought it would be fun to see if I could burrow under the floor boards. The heat of a thousand suns slowly made its way up my neck to engulf my head.

And I felt like I was back in school again.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

you're back! :) now i have some wonderful bedrest activity!

ok, so what is worse, your unpleasant situation or when you are standing for Bible reading and you are under the impression that it is a responsive reading... and it is not. :)
jennifer

Bob B said...

Haha, I've been there too!

And I'll try to do better with the blogging. Monica's blogging circles around me these days. :-)

Anonymous said...

and that's with her homeschooling and cleaning and cooking and doing chickens!

Anonymous said...

Zach: Lol that is very funny.