Friday, September 05, 2008

Your Personal Info

Please, please, I beg you, don't plaster your personally identifying information all over your Facebook account. Or wherever.

Like your home address, home phone, cell phone, employer. All information that a nasty could do nasty things with.

What could somebody do with that info, you say?

Type your phone number into Google, press enter, and see what comes back.

No phone number? Try your name, along with your city and state.

Dude... Google gives back a map to my house! Along with a satellite photograph!

And that's just with Google. With other "services" available on the 'Net, it's insanely easy to find out all kinds of information on complete strangers.

Please don't make it easier for people to find out where you live, and work, and bank, and so on. Keep your private details private.

1 comment:

Aly said...

It didn't find me! Google doesn't even know I exist... :(

Tried home, cell and work number. It found where I work, but didn't recognise my direct line. Or address.

But I've been scared by this before. Really scared.

So I gotta agree with the advise you give, bro!