Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Gas, Sweet Gas

Bro. Trevor and his family are staying with us this week while he attends a training class in Atlanta. We've been riding the bus/train into the city to save on gas, because the gas situation in Atlanta is still pretty horrible. A brother from church pointed me to a gas station last Sunday that had no lines(!!), which was a great blessing, but that afternoon we drove by again and that station, as well as the two across the street, had all run out of gas.

When we got off the bus yesterday evening we passed a gas station that had gas! My "commuter" car was almost empty, so we jumped in line and sat there for a few minutes before we realized this was going to take a while. And we were hungry, so we decided to head on to the house, where the ladies had cooked up some good eatin'.

Once my belly was full I decided to head back out, and Bro Trevor graciously decided to accompany me. The line was a couple of cars shorter, but still fairly long, so we pulled in and waited.

And waited.

An hour later, the attendant came out of the store and was heard to say that the station had only 70 gallons left. In the whole station! There were still a couple of cars in front of us (there was also another long line of cars into the station from the opposite direction), and the few pumps that were still operational were moving very slowly.

After another 10 or 15 minutes we made it to the pump. I jumped out, swiped my credit card, and got the pump started; drop after precious drop of the sweet nectar dripped into my car. I got 12 gallons by some miracle. My car wasn't technically "full", but I figured I could last on that for another month of trips to the bus stop, so I stopped the pump.

It took an hour and a half to get gas.

No comments: